Freshman Eric Ringstad notched wins at No. 1 singles and doubles to lead the Skyhawks on Sunday.
Ringstad and Hyzak lead double-winners for Skyhawks
EASTON, Mass. (April 1, 2012) – Stonehill College, ranked eighth in the first NCAA Division II East Regional rankings of the season released this week, bounced back from a tough defeat on Friday with an 8-1 triumph over Assumption College in Northeast-10 Conference men's tennis action at Sally Blair Ames Sports Complex this afternoon.
Senior Aaron Bergeron (Gorham, Maine/Gorham), sophomore Nick Hyzak (Guilford, Conn./Guilford) and freshmen Eric Ringstad (Fairbanks, Alaska/Monroe Catholic) and Thomas Alaimo (North Andover, Mass./Central Catholic) were all double-winners to lead Stonehill to its sixth win over its last seven dual matches. Ringstad and Hyzak combined for an 8-3 victory at No. 1 doubles, keying a Skyhawks sweep in doubles play. Ringstad then topped Assumption freshman Joseph Esposito at No. 1 singles, while Hyzak defeated junior Matthew Drolet, 6-0, 6-3, at No. 2.
Bergeron posted a 6-3, 6-0 win over junior Patrick Murray at No. 4 singles after teaming up with freshman Jonathan Sanders (Holbrook, N.Y./St. Anthony's) for an 8-4 victory at No. 2 doubles. Alaimo defeated junior Richard Jakiel at No. 3 singles, 6-4, 6-1, after combining with sophomore Brett Armstrong (Manville, R.I./Mount Saint Charles Academy) for an 8-5 win at No. 3 doubles. Freshman Jared Drzal (West Sayville, N.Y./Sayville) also notched a win for Stonehill with his 6-0, 6-0 sweep of senior Jeremiah Reilly.
Senior Nathan LaFond (Goffstown, N.H./Goffstown) recorded the lone point for Assumption as he topped Armstrong 6-4, 4-6, 13-11 (super tiebreaker) at No. 5 singles.
Stonehill (11-2, 5-1 NE-10) returns to action on Thursday when it hosts Southern New Hampshire University, ranked sixth in the East Region, for a key NE-10 clash at Charles Watt Tennis Courts at 3:30 p.m. Assumption (2-10, 1-8 NE-10) is off until Tuesday, April 10, when it hosts Wheaton College at 4 p.m.
Stonehill 8, Assumption 1
1. Eric Ringstad (STO) def. Joseph Esposito (ASM) 6-3, 6-1
2. Nick Hyzak (STO) def. Matthew Drolet (ASM) 6-0, 6-3
3. Thomas Alaimo (STO) def. Richard Jakiel (ASM) 6-4, 6-1
4. Aaron Bergeron (STO) def. Patrick Murray (ASM) 6-3, 6-0
5. Nathan LaFond (ASM) def. Brett Armstrong (STO) 6-4, 4-6, 13-11
6. Jared Drzal (STO) def. Jeremiah Reilly (ASM) 6-0, 6-0
1. Ringstad/Hyzak (STO) def. Esposito/Nathan LaFond (ASM) 8-3
2. Bergeron/Jonathan Sanders (STO) def. Drolet/Murray (ASM) 8-4
3. Alaimo/Armstrong (STO) def. Jakiel/Reilly (ASM) 8-5
* - doubles matches played first