McCracken scored his first goal in the Purple & White
FOXBORO, Massachusetts (November 8, 2019) – The Stonehill College ice hockey team fell in its Northeast-10 Conference opener to Assumption College Friday night at Foxboro Sports Center with a score of 6-4.
By the Numbers:
- Stonehill's (1-1-0, 0-1-0 NE10) Brendan Nehmer, Mike Seoane, Jared McCracken, and Connor Jewett each scored the goals. Zachary Frament, Chase McKay, John Peloso, Nehmer, Ryan Smith, Cameron Wright, and Kyle Woodruff each tallied an assist.
- McKay recorded a career-high 46 saves in the battle and his first career assist.
- For Assumption (1-1-0, 1-0-0 NE10), six different goal scorers assisted in the victory, while six helpers were also handed out.
- David Altman stopped 24 pucks in the victory.
- The Greyhounds outshot the Skyhawks 52-28 in the 60 minutes of action, as Stonehill outshot Assumption 11-9 in the final period.
How It Happened:
- Assumption kicked off the scoring early in the first period, as Michael Zampanti put away the first goal at 3:25. Zampanti got the puck right out front from Robert Holyoke finding the top shelf for a 1-0 lead.
- Stonehill just finished killing their first penalty of the game at 12:55, and at 13:13, the Greyhounds extended their lead to two, 2-0, with a turnaround shot and tip by Alexander Mavrogiannis from Robert Roche.
- Stonehill cut the deficit to one, 2-1, 23-seconds later with Nehmer's first-career goal as he took it down the ice from the neutral zone and found an open hole on Altman's glove side with help from Frament and McKay.
- Forty-one seconds before the end of the first period, Stonehill's Seoane was in a two on one as he put away his first goal of the season and second-collegiate goal to tie the game, 2-2.
- In the second period, Assumption was dominate in slapping the puck on net, as the Greyhounds put two away to extend their lead back to two, 4-2. The Greyhounds saw Holyoke's first of the game and William Smith's first of the game at 6:17 and 10:41, respectively.
Smith tallied two assists in the NE10 opener
- The final period was no different for scoring, as the Greyhounds found the back of the net in two more scenarios as Roche and Dante Maribito extended the lead to 6-3. Jewett then squeezed in his first goal of the season and 14th of his career in the 7th minute of play.
Stonehill travels to Winchendon, Massachusetts tomorrow, November 9 to face Franklin Pierce University at Winchendon Arena to continue NE10 play with a 7:00 p.m. puck drop.
For the latest on Stonehill Athletics, follow the Skyhawks via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Stonehill Skyhawks "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.