Pereira with his fifth goal of the season
EASTON, Massachusetts (November 2, 2019) – The Stonehill College men's soccer team was edged by Saint Michael's College in the final two minutes of play, 2-1, in Northeast-10 Conference play on Saturday morning on Skyhawk Field.
By the Numbers
- Stonehill's (4-11-1, 2-8-1 NE10) Ian Pereira scored his fifth goal of the season, while Andrew Hammersley tallied 10 saves.
- Saint Michael's (4-10-2, 1-9-2 NE10) saw Jake Bannon and Ryan DiNapoli with the scores, while Matteo Bianchini and Kyle Brady recorded the assists. The Purple Knights' Tommy Coil collected seven saves.
How it Happened:
- In the first 10 minutes of the game, both teams saw shots on goal and Stonehill was the team that came up on top as Pereira struck the ball at Coil who saw the ball bounce off his gloves and Pereira was able to collect the rebound and put it back in for a 1-0 advantage at 10:42. Shot from outside the 18 by 15, corner, caught by Hammersley, cleared by Stonehill College
- Saint Michael's then drew a foul on the right side of the 18-yard box, but Stonehill's defense stopped the attack and cleared the ball out
- Michael McShane saw an opportunity in the 30th minute as he took a free kick that went low and was saved by coil.
- The Purple Knights opened the second half with aggression and they tallied back-to-back shots, with one from Bannon and one from Brady. The Skyhawks' John Mavridis saw his own open shot at 60:01 just inside the six-yard box that Coil dove to the left for.
Hammersley matched his career high with 10 saves (PHOTO BY: Andrew Katsampes)
- Terrific cross from Moylan as Pereira sent it wide of the left post
- Saint Michael's appeared to get more assertive and kept the ball in their attacking third as Bianchini sent a cross inside the box as Bannon was able to head the ball home to the back left corner to tie the game at 88:20.
- After the restart, the Purple Knights took the ball downfield once again and following a shot by Diaz that was Hammersley's 10th save of the game, Saint Michael's set up for their fifth corner of the game as Brady sent an inswinger to the front right post. DiNapoli tipped in the ball inside a scrum to take the advantage at 89:46, 2-1.
Outside the Lines:
- This is the first NE10 victory for Saint Michael's College all season and first victory since late September.
- Hammersley matched his career high of 10 saves in his 14th start of the season.
Stonehill will host Southern New Hampshire University (8-4-3, 6-3-2 NE10) on Wednesday, November 6 for their final regular season game on Skyhawk Field with a kickoff at 1:30 p.m.
For the latest on Stonehill Athletics, follow the Skyhawks via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Stonehill Skyhawks "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.