Skyhawks earn fourth shutout of the season
EASTON, Massachusetts (November 2, 2019) – The Stonehill College women's soccer team, who recently received a NCAA Division II East Region ranking of No. 4, was victorious in their fourth shutout of the season in a 4-0 win over Saint Anselm College on Skyhawk Field Saturday afternoon. The Skyhawks are also ranked No. 20 in this week's United Soccer Coaches' National poll and No. 2 in the East Regional poll.
By the Numbers
- Stonehill's (11-3-3, 8-1-3 NE10) Alex Giardina scored two goals, while Camryn Thompson and Kayla Henry each chipped in their own tallies. Elizabeth Nerger, Nicole Geraghty, and Nadia Havens tallied the helpers.
- Senior goalkeeper Kaitlin Brown tallied eight saves in her 14th-career shutout.
- Saint Anselm (7-3-6, 4-3-5 NE10) saw Mackenzie O'Neil and Payton Wildrick combine for three saves.
How it Happened:
- Stonehill and Saint Anselm battled it out in the first 20 minutes of the game as neither team saw many chances, but Henry connected on a strike in the 17th minute inside the six-yard box that was blocked by a Hawk for the Skyhawk's closest opportunity on net.
Nerger registered her first assist of the season and eighth helper of her career (PHOTO BY: Andrew Katsampes)
- Two minutes later, Nerger saw her first assist of the season and eighth of her career, as she ripped a cross from the left flank to Thompson who tallied her eighth goal of the season, extending the Skyhawks' lead to two, 2-0, at 32:20.
- Eight minutes into the second half, Saint Anselm was active in their attacking third with three-straight shots, including two that sailed just over the crossbar and one that was stopped by Brown for her third save of the game.
- Giardina followed that series with her second goal of the game and eighth of the season, as she beat defenders down the left flank and put the ball in the back of the net for a 3-0 lead at 55:29.
- In a four-minute span, Brown recorded three saves, while Wildrick tallied one of her own before the 68th minute.
- At 71:39, Geraghty led Henry forward with a through ball as the keeper came out of the box to defend but Henry was able to send it around Wildrick for her ninth goal of the season and 18th of her career, extending the lead to four, 4-0.
- The Hawks saw one final opportunity in the 78th minute, as Caly Farina ripped a shot inside the 18-yard box as Brown came out and had the ball bounce off her keeping Saint Anselm from scoring.
Outside the Lines:
- Both teams played in their first regulation game after both playing to two-straight 1-1 double-overtime games. Saint Anselm battled Southern Connecticut State University and Southern New Hampshire University, while the Skyhawks faced Adelphi University and Pace University.
Stonehill will host Southern Connecticut State University (8-6-3, 5-4-3 NE10) for their final regular season game on Skyhawk Field on Tuesday, November 5 with a 1:30 p.m. start time.
For the latest on Stonehill Athletics, follow the Skyhawks via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Stonehill Skyhawks "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.