Giardina records her ninth goal of the season (PHOTO BY: Ben Stockwell)
EASTON, Massachusetts (November 5, 2019) – The Stonehill College women's soccer team, who is ranked No. 4 in the NCAA Division II East Region, played in its third fourth double overtime game of the season tying Southern Connecticut State University, 1-1, to conclude Northeast-10 Conference regular season play. The Skyhawks are also ranked No. 19 in this week's United Soccer Coaches' National poll and No. 2 in the East Regional poll.
By the Numbers
- Stonehill's (11-3-4, 8-1-4 NE10) Alex Giardina scored the tally for the Skyhawks, for her ninth goal of the season and 16th of her career.
- Senior goalkeeper Kaitlin Brown tallied seven saves.
- Southern Connecticut State University (8-6-4, 5-4-4 NE10) saw Paula Nunez with the goal, while Nadine Hilkert registered the assist. Allie Smith recorded 14 saves in the game.
How it Happened:
- Stonehill was able to keep most of the action in the middle of the field or their attacking third until Southern Conn. brought the ball down to their attacking third for the first time around the 16th minute of play.
- In the 21st minute, the Owls got off a short corner and was able to put it in the boxsending it between the two sides of the box before Mikaela Magee headed the ball directly into the hands of Brown for their first shot on goal.
- After a turnover at midfield, Stonehill was able to bring the ball into their attacking third once again and Nadia Havens sent a left footed pass to Nicole Geraghty who made a short run inside the 18-yard box. Geraghty took a strike to the left front post for a save by Smith, but she was unable to keep the ball as Giardina followed putting the ball across the line for a 1-0 advantage at 29:23.
- Stonehill saw the advantage at the end of the first half, as they held a 12-1 shot advantage and 4-1 in corner kicks.
- The Skyhawks quickly went to work to try to get another tally on the board as Kayla Henry sent a shot wide right inside the 18-yard box in the 46 minute of play.
Brown tallied seven saves in the fourth draw of the season (PHOTO BY: Andrew Katsampes)
- In the 82nd minute of play, Southern Connecticut State University saw a long shot by Johanna Wahlen from about 35 yards out as Brown trapped it right near the left post.
- About 25 yards out, the Owls set up for a set piece with three surrounding the ball. Hilkert chipped the ball into the box, as Nunez sent it past brown on a left-footed shot with 37-seconds remaining in the second half to tie the game, 1-1.
- Shots were in favor of the Skyhawks in both overtime periods as they totaled six to the Owls' one.
Outside the Lines:
- Giardina is the second Skyhawk this season to reach nine goals, as she is second on the team with 20 total points. She is one of five Skyhawks with double-digit points and has a career high in goals and points. The junior has also scored in four of the last five games.
Stonehill will enter the NE10 Tournament as a No. 2 seed and will await their opponent. The first round game is scheduled for 1:00 p.m. on Sunday, November 10 on Skyhawk Field.
For the latest on Stonehill Athletics, follow the Skyhawks via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Stonehill Skyhawks "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.