Poveda tallies 15th career double-double
EASTON, Massachusetts (October 22, 2019) – The Stonehill College volleyball team earned a 3-1 victory over Saint Anselm College Tuesday night at Merkert Gymnasium in Northeast-10 Conference play with set scores of 27-25, 15-25, 25-23, 26-24.
By The Numbers:
- Stonehill (11-7, 4-2 NE10) saw three Skyhawks with double-digit kills, while four recorded double-digit digs.
- Junior Sophia Poveda tallied her 15th double-double of her career as she recorded 13 kills and 12 digs with three blocks.
- Sophomore Clare Feeman registered 11 kills, as she saw the highest hitting percentage of the match .526, and matched a career high five blocks.
- Freshman Basia Peragine notched a season high 13 kills and a match high six blocks.
Feeman was one of three Skyhawks with double-digit kills, also matching a career high five blocks (PHOTO BY: Mike Tureski/SportsPix)
How it Happened:
- Following a score of 3-2, in favor of Saint Anselm, Stonehill held on to the lead before the Hawks went on a five-point run, 25-24. Stonehill was able to side-out with three-straight points to take game one, 27-25.
- Saint Anselm saw the highest hitting percentage of the match in the second set with a .560 hitting clip to dominate over the Skyhawks' .129 hitting percentage. The Hawks ran with the lead throughout the game, as Stonehill tied the set twice and came within three, 5-8, before Saint Anselm secured its first win 25-15.
- Both teams went on a run in the third set, before Stonehill edged the Hawks with a five-point advantage, 20-15. Saint Anselm fought back to come within one, 20-19, but the Skyhawks persisted and remained on top to lead the match, 2-1, with a 25-23 set three win.
- Stonehill's highest hitting percentage came in the fourth game, .294, as they ran with an eight-point lead, 18-10, before Saint Anselm tied the game three times and took a two-point lead, 24-22. Stonehill responded with four-straight points securing its second-straight NE10 victory, 26-24.
Peragine saw a season high 13 kills and a match high six blocks (PHOTO BY: Mike Tureski/SportsPix)
Outside the Lines:
- Stonehill broke Saint Anselm's five-game win streak, handing the Hawks their second Conference loss.
- Stonehill is now 4-2 when playing four-game matches.
Stonehill travels this weekend for two NE10 Conference matches with a battle against Le Moyne College on Friday, October 25 at 5:00 p.m. and a Saturday afternoon contest against the College of Saint Rose at 1:00 p.m. on October 26.
During the month of October, the Skyhawks will be collecting donations for the Side-Out Foundation to help fund breast cancer education and cutting edge research and treatment. If you would like to make a donation, please click here to access the Stonehill Volleyball Side-Out Foundation Campaign.
For the latest on Stonehill Athletics, follow the Skyhawks via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Stonehill Skyhawks "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.