Skyhawks five-game win streak comes to a halt
EASTON, Massachusetts (November 2, 2019) – The Stonehill College volleyball team ended its win five-game win streak with a 3-2 loss against Adelphi University at Merkert Gymnasium with set scores of 25-20, 21-25, 24-26, 25-18 and 12-15 in Northeast-10 Conference play.
By The Numbers:
- Stonehill (14-8, 7-3 NE10) saw Rachel Dunlavy with a career-high 31 digs, while sophomore Clare Feeman chipped in 13 kills. Feeman averaged a .304 hitting percentage and Poveda saw her 17th-career double-double with 12 kills and 12 digs.
- Two Skyhawks tallied three service aces, including Poveda and sophomore Carly Russell.
- Adelphi's (11-9, 6-3 NE10) Sara Mandreja notched a match-high sixteen kills, while the Panthers registered 46 kills total.
- Katarina Warburton recorded a team-high 25 digs, while Cara McKenzie led the match with nine blocks and Rachel Ten doeschate registered seven.
How it Happened:
Poveda tallies her 17th-career double-double with 12 digs and kills
- The Skyhawks' one-set lead did not last, as the Panthers ran with six-straight points to see their largest lead of eight, 15-7. Stonehill then fought back and came within three, 21-24, but Adelphi took set point, 25-21, tying the match at one game apiece.
- Adelphi battled through another close set with help from Sara Mandreja with five kills of their 13. Stonehill's Molly Turner (Stoughton, Massachusetts/Stoughton) served consistently taking a four-point advantage, 11-7, but Adelphi closed the gap to two, 21-23. Remick's fourth kill made it 24-21, but the Panthers ran with five-straight points to lead 2-1, with a score of 26-24 in set three.
- Stonehill ran with the lead all throughout the fourth set, as they kicked off the game with four-straight points, forcing Adelphi to take an early timeout. Dunlavy would lead the charge with six serves to build a five-point run making it 15-4. The Panthers got as close as five points, yet the Skyhawks prevailed to take the set 25-18.
- The fifth set saw five tied scores, as Stonehill couldn't get past their six errors and didn't see the lead for the rest of the set following a 9-8 score. The Panthers took the final frame, 15-12, which was led by Warburton's six digs and just three team errors, a match low.
Outside the Lines:
- Stonehill drops from third in the NE10 Conference standings to fifth with today's loss while Adelphi climbs one place from eighth to seventh.
- The Skyhawk are now 2-2 when playing in five-set matches.
- The Panthers broke their five-game losing streak with this 3-2 victory.
Stonehill travels to Assumption College Tuesday, November 5 for a 7:00 p.m. Northeast-10 Conference match at the Andrew Laska Gymnasium.
For the latest on Stonehill Athletics, follow the Skyhawks via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Stonehill Skyhawks "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.